Thursday, June 27, 2013

Trend Testing: Coloured Eyeliner

Over the last year I have been experimenting with winged liner. I am still by no means an expert but I'm slowly getting the hang of making the wings somewhat even. And if you mess up completely, try this trick from Glitter Geek. Easiest way to fake that you're a winged eyeliner professional! I've been seeing super bright eyeliner looks online and loving them. Brittany Balyn (one of my fav. YouTubers) posted this instagram of her wearing a chartreuse eyeliner the other day and I died of eyeliner envy. I decided I needed to try it. With no neon chartreuse in my collection, I went with a bright turquoise-blue.


I love it. Although I am a makeup hoarder, it appears I do not hoard eyeliners. I only own 4 or 5 gel and liquid eyeliners, all but one of which are black (apparently I do hoard black eyeliner). If you are like me and want to try this trend, an eyeshadow will do the trick. You'll want to:
  1. Take an angled brush. My favourite is the liner/lash brush from Quo
  2. Spray it with a facial spray. If you don't have any, water will do
  3. Blot the water off. You don't want to soak the brush because it could ruin the eyeshadow
  4. Pick your eyeliner shade. Any eyeshadow will work. Vibrant matte or satin shades will work best but you can try it with any colour you'd like (imagine what you could do with a glitter!)
  5. Dip the brush into the shadow and apply just like you would a liquid or gel

This is what you will end up with. I love it. I used a shade by SugarPill called "Afterparty". I wanted to go very minimal on the eyeshadow and let the eyeliner do all the talking. I applied a thin layer of Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in RSVP all over the lid and in the inner corner.  I then added a soft satin warm brown colour (Mac Modelette) in the crease for the slightest definition and a matte brow bone highlight (Mac Blanc Type). I took what was left over on the angled liner brush under my lower lashline and brightened my inner rim with Rimmel ScandalEyes liner in Nude.



I wanted to go for a cobalt blue shade, but Afterparty was the closest thing I have. I love this colour, which SugarPill describes as a "bright turquoise". I have it in their Sweetheart four-colour palette (with Midori [green], Dollipop [hot pink] and Tako [matte white]). If you love bright colours, I would definitely recommend SugarPill. They have the most beautiful, pigmented colours in any shade you could ever dream of! I love this palette and am going to try this look with Dollipop next time for sure.

To finish the look off I added Hard Candy baked blush in Pin Up on the cheeks and went for a bold lip with the Joe Fresh matte lipstick in Melon. It is an almost neon pink-coral shade. I always forget how creamy this lipstick is until I put it on. This is one of the best matte lipstick formulations I have come across. Rediscovering this colour is making me want to pick up a few more of their matte shades. And at just $6 a pop how can I say no?

Would you guys wear bright coloured winged liner for the summer months?

No comments:

Post a Comment