Friday, October 4, 2013

Rimmel Exaggerate Undercover Shadow Primer [Review]

Confession: I have been a terrible blogger lately. All through the summer I was on my A-game. And then the weather got colder and I decided I wanted to watch Breaking Bad. So for the last few weeks I have marathoned through the first two and a half seasons and ignored my beauty blog. Sorry! I am half beauty addict, half TV addict. Sometimes it's hard to juggle both of my lives. I am trying to be a better blogger. Last week I stumbled upon a new eyeshadow primer in the drugstore that I couldn't pass up testing out.


I was perusing my local beauty department and stumbled across the Rimmel Exaggerate Undercover Shadow Primer ($6.98CA). Of course, I know my local beauty department like the back of my hand so I knew this baby was new. Since it was so inexpensive I decided to pick it up and test it out. Most drugstore primers double as an eyeshadow colour, like the Maybelline Colour Tatoos, and aren't marketed as primers. This one stood out to me because it is nothing but a primer. The applicator is your typical doe-foot, lipgloss-style applicator. Nothing wrong with this, but nothing spectacular about it. I prefer pot-style and tube-style containers so that I can get every last bit of a product out. These ones tend to waste a lot.

Rimmel Exaggerate Undercover Shadow Primer swatched[left] & blended[right]

The primer itself is a shimmery pearlescent finish. It is pretty shimmery. The formula feels very much like silicon. It goes on very smooth and silky. If you don't like the feel of silicon face primers this probably won't be your cup of tea. I personally love silicon primers and the way they fill in pores. I though that this type of product might help to prevent creasing even better. It doesn't. The claims on this product are not crazy 24-hour wear. The Rimmel primer claims to prevent creasing for 4 up to 7 hours and intensify colour. This primer does last around 4 hours without creasing, but not much more than that. Around the 5 hour mark I start to see creasing and it only gets worse from there. I don't know about you guys but I need to wear my eyeshadow for a lot longer than 4 hours a day.

Mac Sketch & Satin Taupe eyeshadow swatched over Rimmel Shadow Primer [left] & over Mac Painterly Paint Pot [right]

I also don't find that it intensifies my shadows enough. As you can see my Mac Painterly Paintpot makes eye shadows pop. With this primer I find that lighter and neutral shadows show up pretty decent. But this primer cannot be used to wear bright shadows unless you are going to wear a white creamy base as well. Since this primer is pretty prone to creasing, wearing a creamy base just makes this worse. Coloured shadows fall flat on top of this primer.

Overall this primer falls flat. It doesn't make my shadow last all day without creasing and it doesn't make shadows pop like so many other primers do. I think the Maybelline Colour Tattoo's do a much better job at the same price point. Rimmel has been hitting it out of the park lately and I just don't think this primer rises to the same level as their other amazing products. I would recommend you skip this primer. This is only good if you never wear eyeshadow and just need it for the odd night out.


No comments:

Post a Comment